My daughter asked me what I do at work.
So many of us have that little 8 second plug about what we do to pitch to potential clients, but recently Simon Sinek and others have asked the question, why? Why do you do what you do?
Sinek says, “People don’t buy WHAT you do; they buy WHY you do it.”
I know that I help clients find just the right speaker for their budget and meeting objectives and handle all the negotiations, paperwork and the details associated with hiring a speaker for a meeting or event. But so do other speaker bureau agents. So, why do I do this and how am I different from the others?
I really could do something else, so why do I do this particular job? The first thing that came to mind was, “I love my job.” But, that’s not my why, so I decided to make a list of the reasons why I do what I do, and this is how it looked:
- I really do like to help people solve problems
- I know that Inspiring and motivating others makes a difference in their lives
- I truly believe in the power of words
- People need positive messages in order to grow
- We should never stop learning!
- Soft skills are critical to success in business and in life
- I really like people and believe in building relationships not just business contacts
So, the next time someone asks you what you do, think about your reasons for why you do it. Communicate those reasons to your customers and business interactions and you may just find that clients will begin to identify with you on a personal level. The result will be the creation of a unique relationship of respect, loyalty, and shared values. Stand out from the rest with authenticity and clarity of purpose.
Speakers Network Worldwide has a clear understanding of our “why.” Call today and we would be happy to talk about it with you!