Find Your Courage. Stop Playing Safe. Brave. Make Your Mark. The titles of Margie’s four bestselling books reflect her passion for empowering people to live and lead with greater courage. Margie’s needed to find her courage many times since growing up one of seven children on a dairy farm in rural Australia. Personal adversity, backpacking solo around the world, starting a business with four children under five: all have taught her valuable lessons on building resilience, challenging norms and embracing change.
Today, Margie draws on her background in Fortune 500 business, coaching and psychology to arm people with the mindset, strategies and skills essential to lead themselves and others to better outcomes. Margie’s international experience has found her working with diverse organizations from NASA to the United Nations Foundation, British Telecom, Singapore Government and Australian Federal. She also sits on the advisory board of Forbes School of Business & Technology, is adjunct faculty at Duke Executive Education and has guest lectured at Columbia, Georgetown and her alma mater, Monash University in Australia.
A Forbes contributor and host of RawCourage.tv, Margie has been described as an ‘international authority on brave leadership’ by the Wall Street Journal. Her insights have also been shaped by her work and interviews with leaders such as Richard Branson, Bill Marriott, former Australian Prime Minister John Howard, Oliver Stone and fellow author Marianne Williamson. Margie has also co-authored two other books with Stephen Covey, Jack Canfield and Ken Blanchard.
Currently undertaking her PhD, Margie’s work draws on the latest research in leadership, positive psychology and organizational change. Her programs have shown measurable improvement in leadership effectiveness, team collaboration, engagement and wellbeing. A passionate advocate for gender equality and inclusive leadership, in 2010 Margie founded Global Courage to embolden braver leadership and advance more women to decision-making tables. She is a Women’s Economic Forum honoree and an Ambassador for Women in Global Business and Google’s Womenwill program.
An adventurous spirit at heart, Margie’s travelled off the beaten track in 70+ countries. She’s crossed the Sahara Desert, stayed in Palestinian refugee camps, hiked the Inca trail, swam with piranhas in the Amazon and, perhaps bravest of all, cycled through Beijing. She has spent many years living outside Australia including in Papua New Guinea, the USA and is currently based in Singapore.
Margie is also the mother of four teenage children and enjoys sharing adventures with them and her husband Andrew—most recently summiting Mt Kilimanjaro.
REFRAME RISK, UNLOCK POTENTIAL AND EXPAND POSSIBILITIES
How exceptional leaders harness the potential in themselves and others
Empower your leaders to lead themselves and others with greater purpose, passion, courage and confidence. Drawing on the latest research in leadership and neuro-science, plus interviews with some of the world’s top change makers – past and present – Margie will get to the heart of what undermines leadership effectiveness, sharing science-based strategies to:
- Engage people around a big Why that taps ingenuity and counters anxiety and complacency
- Act decisively amid uncertainty and ambiguity Identify blind spots and foster a risk-ready mindset that is driven by purpose over pride
- Engage in the tough conversations that are too often avoided
- Create rituals that build resilience to stay ‘on purpose,’ thrive under pressure and fail forward faster
HARNESS COLLECTIVE INGENUITY, CREATIVITY AND DIVERSITY
Create a culture that fuels engagement and unlocks ingenuity, creativity and courage
The greatest threat to any organization is the fear that stifles ingenuity, fuels risk aversion and drives highly capable, creative people to make short-sighted decisions. Margie will share powerful research-backed frameworks to equip leaders with strategies to build psychological safety and foster a ‘culture of courage’ that harnesses human capital and emboldens disruptive thinking to ensure organizations remain competitive in an increasingly uncertain, globalized and accelerated world.
Counter the fear-based biases that undermine change initiatives, inhibit crucial conversations and stifle creativity, innovation and engagement
- Rethink risk to make braver decisions
- Create unconscious inclusion that harnesses the full value of diversity
- Foster the growth mind-set needed to nurture ingenuity and intrapreneurship and help people fail forward
- Build the loyal cohesion needed to challenge outdated paradigms that stifle innovation
- Communicate vision in ways that maximizes engagement
UNLOCK THE FORCE OF FEMALE POTENTIAL TO CHANGE THE WORLD
For women who want to do more, be more and give more, but too often doubt they can
Despite the compelling case to have more women seated at decision-making tables, too few currently are. The reasons are many and the solutions complex, yet one thing is certain: empowering women to challenge old thinking and step into leadership roles is not just the right thing to do, it’s the smart thing. Margie will draw on her PhD research and personal experiences of challenging gender norms to provide strategies to:
- Plug the leaky pipeline and get more women at top tables
- Teach women to ‘power up’ their language to build respect, counter unconscious bias and build their executive presence and leadership brand
- Foster authentic leadership and bring your whole self to work
- Manage benevolent sexism and the likeability/capability ‘double bind’ bias against women
- Beat ‘imposter syndrome’ and keep ‘mothers’-guilt’ in check
- Encourage women to ‘lift as they climb’ and tap the collective power of the sisterhood
- Challenge sponsors and mentors, and get more men on board
UNLEASH YOUR PURPOSE, POWER AND POTENTIAL
Finding the courage to pursue the boldest vision for your life
The biggest regret people have at the end of their lives is that they lived too safely and risked too little. In this inspiring keynote, Margie will draw on her diverse life experiences and hard won wisdom to inspire your audience to take action to live a bigger, braver and more meaningful life.
- Power and presence: Align your language, focus and physiology to bring your best self to your biggest challenges
- Three questions to discover your Why and live with a clear sense of purpose
- Rethink risk and exit the safe lane: Learn to get comfortable being uncomfortable
- Upgrade your mental maps: The assumptions that got you here won’t get you there
- Failing forward: Bounce back from setbacks with a wiser mind and stronger spirit
- Forget perfect: Give yourself permission to start now, wherever you are